Monday, September 19, 2011

Yes, fish bite twice!!!

I have on occasion thought I have caught the same fish twice  in an outing in my many years of fishing but could never really prove it other than saying I did. Well I  had a surprise when cleaning fish yesterday. I was perch fishing on Lake Winnebago and I was using a technique called dead sticking. Its nothing more than hanging a bait over the side of the boat and watching your rod tip but now days everything has to have a fancy name. Anyways, I saw a bite and set the hook and my line broke. Images of a monster perch swirled in my head like a kid on Christmas Eve night. I proceed to catch a nice bunch of  perch and headed home to clean. I was on my 5th perch when I saw a line out of one's mouth. Sure enough,there was my tube bait and red hook swallowed by a perch.
 When I started to think about it and how odd it might be, its really not unusual for a fish to bite twice. The hook feels no different than sharp spiney fins and the soft tube body must feel no different than a minnow. I did ,however, set the hook hard and thought I rocked him pretty good . I was wrong.

8 comments:

  1. This spring a friend broke off a large bass. He had another rod pre-rigged and 30 seconds later landed the same fish and retrieved the lost terminal tackle. Don't bother to tell your story to the people at PETA... "fishing is cruel and torture".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also had that happen countless times! Happend with a smallie just in my last update! I can also remember earlier this year in the spring it happened with a nice largemouth, and several years ago i had a nice fish on, bit off, and about 15 minutes later my friend pulls in a 25 inch walleye with my hook in his mouth!
    Some days you can get them to bite twice, but other days you can't get them to bite. I guess that's why it's called fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I dont think Peta would like my photo either But for me and my family its called "food" , Bass are so territorial in spring but never could prove I caught the same one twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, I've been racking my brain to try an remember whether I've ever caught the same trout twice. I wonder if one species is smarter than the other?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cofish, I caught the same brookie twice .The gill plate was half gone so I knew it was the same one .Am I proof positive , no , but 99 percent sure. This was the first one that was a "for sure"

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pretty wild. I wish I could get the last trout I had snap my line to bite again. Looks like you scored some tasty fish and got a free lure out of the deal :) Do you have any idea why they shut the streams down for so long here in Wisconsin??? I think we need to change that rule ;) Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trout,
    I went to the recent meeting with the DNR and I think that might change. They had listening sessions and I believe change is in the wind. I think most said close the end of October and reopen Feb 1st.You have my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today I was trying to catch a largemouth live bait, and caught a green sunfish that was too big for bait. I released him and he swam 5 feet away and stopped, I pitched my bait at him and to my amazement he ate instantly. I released him again after a photo. He stayed next to my leg (wading) and then hung out by my dog's legs, but I eventually spooked him back into the brush. On my next cast, I caught a big green sunfish that looked very similar, so I looked at my camera next to the fish, he had the same black spots (parasites) on his cheek! Three times in about a minute, ONE DUMB FISH! And it wasn't like he was starving, he was very fat!

    ReplyDelete