Sunday, July 3, 2011

Ugly Realism About Fossil Fuels

Yellowstone Oil Spill While I was on my soap box a few weeks back I was spouting about the use of fossil fuels and gas prices and here it come round to bite me clean in the Ass . I'm sure there are some of you saying , see,see ,see frugal man. This is what happens..... Oh Montana ,I do so apologize ... While I was sitting on the fence ( Frugal article) it broke. Ok , I need to go on a diet, but I will write more about that in another article.  Here it is, the ugly truth about fossil fuels.42,000 barrels of crude wash down the river in  what seems to be a 45 minute leak. Countless fish, birds,turtles and host of other shore creatures will vanish from the area. Its just not fair. We depend on fossil fuels to run American and as much as this hurts we will pick up the pieces,clean up, and go back drilling. One thing we need to do for sure is get smarter about use .Who ran the pipeline next to the river?Were there safeguards in place to ensure we caught it in time ?What is the long term impact?These are all questions that need to be answered and I'm sure in days and weeks to come the finger pointing will start. On a personal level, if this was in my back yard I would be sick...... I need to go hug a tree and mend a fence!


turtle resting in a oil bath


 "Oh Montana ,I do so apologize" ... 

4 comments:

  1. First off, I forgive you John for ranting on Sunday. I understand that this one couldn't wait. I've begun to look forward to ranting with you on Fridays. I'll be back to comment further when the knot in my stomach goes away...but really, what were those folks thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cofish, never fear,I'm Sure something will 'P' me off between now and Friday. I hope it didn't sound like a rant. I was going for more of a "scratch your head","where did I go wrong" kind of post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, Sorry but it's me ranting a bit. I haven't started scratching my head yet. I haven't been to Yellowstone but it's always been on top of my bucket list. I missed my first opportunity the year of the big fire. I still regret that. And now this. Who knows what damage the park and river will sustain...it makes me sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet solar panels and windmills wouldn't effect the environment so horribly! Still don't quite understand why you hardly ever see these power sources anywhere. They should be lining our hills until we have to much energy we don't know what to do with it. But then I guess the world would have to slow down a bit and lord knows nobody wants that...:P Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete